Music-o-blog

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Now That's What I Call Stuff

Well here it is [finally], my first compilation. After much track picking, changing, editing, and mixing I've finally burnt a CD that I'm not quite happy with, but can't be arsed to do any more. I've neither kept to a theme nor tried to please everyone, just picked some tracks that I like. You'll either love it or hate it, or quite like it, or find it mildly annoying, or be completely indifferent. Here's the album cover if you choose to make it all proper. And on to the Tracklist: 1. Jeff Mills - Berlin Thought i'd kick off the compilation hard and fast, the way I like it! I could have picked almost any choon on Mills' Waveform Transmission - Volume 1 album, beautifully crafted minimal techno. bouncybouncybouncybouncy 2. Dave Clarke - Thunder In the words of Pink "God is a DJ", that DJ just happens to be Dave Clarke; awesome minimal techno at it's english best, to be found on the Red Three 12" just before The Storm. 3. Green Velvet - La La Land Hypnotic beats from crazy Cajmere, perfect for the crazy person. Has a certain gay sound to it. Groove to it or be annoyed by it. 4. Boney M - Rasputin The kings of dance, knowingly using killer basslines, you can't help boogying along to any one of their hits. I chose Rasputin for the poignant story that unfolds via the medium of lyrics... Ohhhh those Russians. 5. Coldcut feat QBert I'm a big fan of turntablism and Q-bert is one of it's best purveyors. 6. DJ Yoda - George Formby Turntabalised A bit more turntablism, this time from the stables of DJ Yoda, his DJ sets have to be heard (and seen) to be believed. This track is a short taster, incorporating my other favourite George Formby. Bonus. 7. Miss Kittin - Professional Distortion Not to be mistaken for the anarchic big brother kitten. Electroclash? Rock meets Blip-Hop? 8. Simple Minds - Theme For Great Cities So much better than the house remix by Dave Lee that was done many years later. I think 'back in the day' (or 'back in the day' before I was born) this was called prog rock. 9. Royksopp - What Else Is There I liked their "Melody A.M" album, but the followup "The Understanding" was nowhere near as good(imho)...apart from this track. 10. Osymyso - Fiver to Bigwig The genius of Osymyso remaster Bright Eyes, a twitchy nose and the largest pair of ears he'd ever seen! 11. Orbital - Doctor? A DrWho remix??? How bizarre, yet so right. 12. Public Enemy - Bring Tha Noize(With Anthrax) Not the first time there's been a rap/metal duo crossover stylee thing, more famously with Run DMC and Aerosmith which I loved at the time, but radio repetition dulled my senses on that one. 13. Prime time radio gaff, rather humerous. 14, Rhubarb & Custard The themetune, no remix, no bootleg mix, just the theme tune, ORIGINAL Possibly one of the most beautifully crafted musical pieces in the history of themetunes to kids tv shows involving badly drawn cartoon cats and dogs, ever. 15. Dr Evil & Mini Me - Hard Knock Life Wow that Dr Evil sure can rap. 16. Osymyso - Intro Expansion 2 Another slice of Osymyso, I had to put this at the end as it's brilliance(TM) would have been impossible to follow. Oompaloompabeegeenirvana There you go, hope you like it, no idea how I'm going to get the CD's to y'all but it could be via Taoski or I could snailmail if you supply your addresses...

5 Comments:

  • I will be picking up the CD from Brum ASAP and then can copy for everyone else.

    I have also just found out that its a "mix CD" - so no downloadable MP3 version is available.

    I just hope he's put track markers on the CD... theres nothing worse than shuffling my iPod onto a track that lasts over 60 mins!

    By Blogger Tao, at 9/01/2005 09:52:00 am  

  • Aye, it is a "mix CD" and there are track markers... Although there's nothing worse than putting a "mix cd" on random and shuffling into a track mid mix!!

    PS: CD length is just under 60 mins!

    By Blogger MrNoxious, at 9/01/2005 10:49:00 am  

  • Nice one, some tracks I know, some I don't.

    Obviously another fan of the mashup scene - pester Agent Taoski for a lend of the biPolar CD it's got a couple of my favourites on it.

    I feel another CD coming on as I've got hold of some new Cassette Boy tracks.

    By Blogger Chris, at 9/06/2005 05:16:00 pm  

  • Sorry Mr Nox - had to restructure this posting as my finger was getting sore scrolling down it all the time!

    By Blogger Tao, at 9/06/2005 10:09:00 pm  

  • If eyes are the mirror of the soul, then this CD is the mirror of Mr Nox's mind.

    From heavy distorted breakbeats, to haunting mixes of Oompah Loompahs dancing with animated rabbits, this CD explains alot about Mr Nox and the fragmented world that is his Ginger Brain. I feel like I understand him better after listening to this.

    Like traversing Spaghetti Junction on a really really bad acid trip, this keeps coming at you every way you turn, keeping you on edge as the sense of impending psychosis grows with each track, which are all expertly mixed to form a soundtrack to your continuing waking nightmares.

    I'm scared... but I am going to listen again!

    By Blogger Tao, at 9/08/2005 09:40:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home